Women We Love: Quincy Davis
The female body can do amazing things. In the case of professional surfer, Montauk native, and all around boss babe Quincy Davis, her body happens to endure monstrous waves, killer workouts and a hefty travel schedule. As our next feature in the Women We Love series, Davis reminds us that we are all strong females and can do anything we set our minds to.
With her always-summer aura helping us remember that the impending New York winter chill won’t last for long, we spoke with the young entrepreneur about her morning routine, her ultimate boss outfit, and what life is really like when your office is essentially the ocean.
1. What fuels you for your day?
I am in love with my coffee time in the morning. I wake up around 7 am and make a homemade almond milk cappuccino. I’ll take my coffee and check the surf. Depending on waves (hoping there are some), I will jump in the water. If the surf isn’t that good, I’ll drive up to a Tracy Anderson class or Gotham Gym to box. I need to move my body in the morning since it gives me a clear mind and energy for the rest of the day.
2. Give us the rundown of what a typical day is like for you.
My day really depends where I am as I travel often and my location determines the day. As I mentioned, at home I’ll have my coffee then go for a surf check or workout. Post work-out I pretty much always have a smoothie at home. Then I will catch up on emails or call my manager who is based in LA and talk about whatever is happening that week. I’ll usually get lunch with a friend in town. I like to jump in the water in the afternoon for another surf if there are some waves. My boyfriend loves film photography and has a bunch of awesome cameras so it’s fun to just roam around Montauk taking random shots. I’m also busy working on a new project which I am super excited about and can’t wait to share!
3. What’s your favorite part of being a pro-surfer?
I love the ocean and how unpredictable, beautiful and powerful it is. That’s where it all started. I am able to connect with people all around the world as best friends and sources of inspiration. Plus surfing brings me to the most beautiful locations ever!
4. Proudest moment of your career so far? Biggest challenge(s) you’ve encountered?
It hasn’t happened yet. Still working to get there. ;)
5. Who is a woman (or women) in business that you look up to?
My two close friends at Curious Yellow Design - Anna [Cappelen] and Chloe [Pollack-Robbins]. They are both so creative and always working. Whenever I have a question about something in my business I go to them! I also follow Jennifer Fisher on Instagram and she seems badass! She’s always hustling and real. I’m also a big fan of her jewelry. And of course my mom, no one works as hard as she does. (Thanks mom :))
6. What is something you wish someone had told you before you embarked on your career?
Pay attention and have gratitude. I traveled so much at such a young age that I was immune to it. I wish I took more in from everywhere I went. Also, who cares what other people think of you! Do what YOU want to do.
7. If you could describe the professional surf world in three words, what would they be?
Progressing, sociable, and exciting.
8. What is your ultimate goal for women who are professional athletes?
Get the exposure we deserve and be treated equally.
9. What does the future of women in professional sports look like in your eyes?
It’s progressing every day and I can’t wait to see where it goes. I am excited to be part of it all.
10. Favorite outfit that makes you feel like a true boss?
A jumpsuit with cool sneakers, a leather jacket, and gold hoops.
11. How do you like to unwind after a busy work week?
Whenever I get back from a lengthy trip, I love a long bath with candles and oils. I also like to have peppermint tea and read before bed (and put the electronics away!). I get the best night of sleep when I do that.
12. Any advice for the future girl bosses of the world, particularly those who want to pursue a career as a professional athlete?
Love what you do because that’s what will make you happy. For an athlete, it’s important to stay motivated!
Stay up to date with Quincy and her latest adventures @quincydavis.